We know that utilizing assisted reproductive therapies of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) or intra-uterine injections (IUI) can be a big investment — both financially and emotionally. Fortunately, there have been many scientific studies demonstrating the benefits of combining acupuncture with IVF and IUI.
How We Help
The addition of Chinese medicine greatly improves the success of a pregnancy by:
- Improving the lining of the uterus
- Improving the quality and quantity of follicles (120 days)
- Significantly reducing stress and anxiety associated with the cycle
- Decreasing the chance of miscarriage
- Preventing uterine contraction post IVF embryo transfer
- Reducing the side-effects of IVF medications
- Improving male factor — volume, motility and morphology (120 days)
Using the best techniques from traditional Chinese medicine and the latest research from Reproductive Endocrinology, our integrative approach gets you ready for your most successful cycle. We coordinate our treatments around your IVF cycle schedule, and make it easy to get the care you need.
When Should Treatment Begin?
In most cases, weekly acupuncture sessions are recommended. If you have already started using ART, you can schedule a free 15 minute phone consultation so we can help you decide the ideal schedule to support you during your cycle.
During an IVF cycle the following schedule is typically most helpful:
- weekly acupuncture leading up to the start of your medications
- twice a week during the ovarian stimulation phase, timing one before the retrieval
- before and after embryo transfer (see pre & post transfer treatment below)
- a session one week after the transfer to support a potential pregnancy
During an IUI cycle, weekly sessions are recommended with one timed around the day of the IUI.
Our personalized approach will lay the foundation for a healthy body and then treating you during your IVF or IUI, which can result in an increased chance of conception, healthy pregnancy, and live birth.
The Pre- and Post- Embryo Transfer Treatments
Studies have proven that the chances of conception increase when acupuncture is given before and shortly after the embryo is transferred to the uterus during an IVF treatment, which is known as pre- and post transfer treatments.
Scientific studies have shown that this improves uterine artery blood flow, decreases uterine contractions, supports the endometrial lining and implantation, and increases pregnancy rates. We work closely with women and their IVF clinics in order to provide them with pre and post transfer treatments.